JOY @ Edwards After-School Orchestra
Teaching Artist (Violin/Viola)
JOY Music, Newberg, Oregon
Hours (Part Time): 5 hrs/week, two days per week (after-school), for 34 weeks, including program and site meetings, and occasional evenings or weekends for performances. Additional hours as a substitute may also be available.
Reports to: JOY Music Program Coordinator, Yamhill Enrichment Society; JOY @ Edwards Site Director
Desired Start Date: February 2022
Pay Rate: $35/hour
JOY (the Junior Orchestra of Yamhill County) is a collaborative project of the Yamhill Enrichment Society (YES), a 501(3)c organization dedicated to transforming the lives of Yamhill County youth by providing access to music and literacy enrichment. JOY is an El Sistema member organization, which is aimed towards using music as a tool for social change.
The mission of JOY is to transform the lives of underserved youth in Yamhill County through high-caliber, intensive orchestral music instruction through emphasizing teamwork and collaboration, promoting student creativity, and engaging the community. The program currently consists of in-school programming for kindergarten and first grade students at Edwards Elementary. Since Fall 2019, our after-school orchestra at Edwards has been open to Edwards students starting in second grade. In Fall 2021, we expect to serve around 65 students after-school in grades 2-4 with a vision to serve through fifth grade in the 2022-23 school year. The program is also actively exploring future sites for growth.
The JOY @ Edwards Teaching Artist’s primary responsibility will be to teach group lessons and assist with rehearsals. Collaborating with other members of the instructional team, the Teaching Artist will be directly involved in developing, implementing, and carrying out the curriculum and defined teaching objectives. As a Teaching Artist, the candidate must be able to demonstrate proficient performance techniques, as well as communication skills. Knowledge of orchestral instrumental performance and pedagogical practices and their implementation are a must.
With long term goals of expanding the program in Yamhill county, this position has the potential for an increase in hours and responsibilities. Opportunities for professional development through El Sistema USA and other local and national music education organizations are offered and encouraged.
The JOY @ Edwards program runs after school Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays from 2:20-5:00pm. We are seeking someone to teach two of those four days. Additional hours could be available or added based on substitute and/or program needs. Examples include substitute teaching after-school and during the school-day (kindergarten and first grade), summer programming and planning, staff and student recruiting, public performances, fundraisers, and special events.
Desired Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in music (orchestral strings), music education, or related field.
- Passion for impacting students’ lives through music, especially underserved or at-risk youth.
- Prior experience teaching school age children.
- Mastery of your primary instrument (violin, viola, cello).
- Ability to work well on a team.
- Effective and equity-driven classroom management techniques.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Ability to work well in a racially and culturally diverse community.
- Ability to speak and write fluently in Spanish.
- Familiarity with the Suzuki method and/or another style of early strings pedagogy.
- Must pass a Newberg School District background check.
- Candidates are asked to submit a video audition on their instrument with their application materials. Guidelines can be found below.
- Must provide proof of full vaccination against COVID-19.
Please submit a resume, cover letter, and audition video clip to Program Coordinator Danielle Howard Dye (email@example.com).
Yamhill Enrichment Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value, honor and promote diversity, equity, and inclusion in our employment and education programs. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are enthusiastically encouraged to apply.
Teaching Artist Audition Guidelines
As part of the application process, applicants for the Teaching Artist position will be asked to submit a video clip of themselves performing on the instrument relevant to the role they are applying for. Please read audition guidelines in addition to the submission guidelines in full. Videos that do not include these elements will not be considered for an initial interview.
Please upload your video clip to YouTube and share the “unlisted” link via email along with your resume and cover letter.
- Repertoire Selection
- Strings candidates (violin, viola, cello, bass) must play
A movement from one of the following:
- Solo/Unaccompanied Bach. Bassists are invited to select a piece of equivalent playing ability.
- Violins: Mozart Concerto. Viola, Cello, Bass can select a piece of equivalent style or era.
- Romantic Era Concerto
- Please keep Performance Sample videos a maximum of 10 minutes in length and minimum of 3 minutes. Clips need to have been recorded within the last 12 months to be considered valid submissions.
- Video submission of musical excerpts need to be in one single video clip without any editing. Clips that show edits of any sort will not be considered.
- Include with your performance clip submission the title and composer of each of your selections.
- Candidate’s video must have the performer and their instrument clearly seen and heard in the frame. Please make sure recording is done in a quiet place with a neutral background. Do not record in a space where a TV/phone/computer/device is on and can be heard– your submission may be disregarded if this is the case.
- Accompanists are not required for this video submission.