Orchestra Teaching Artist (Low Strings/Cello)
Hours (Part Time): 10 hrs/week, 4 days per week (after-school), for 34 weeks, including program and site meetings, and occasional evenings or weekends for
Reports to: JOY Music Program Coordinator, JOY @ Edwards Site Director
Desired Start Date: August 1, 2022 Pay Rate: $35/hour
JOY (the Junior Orchestra of Yamhill County) is a collaborative project of the Yamhill Enrichment Society (YES), a 501(3)c organization dedicated to transforming the lives of Yamhill County youth by providing access to music and literacy enrichment. JOY is an El Sistema member organization, which is aimed towards using music as a tool for social change.
The mission of JOY is to transform the lives of underserved youth in Yamhill County through high-caliber, intensive orchestral music instruction through emphasizing teamwork and collaboration, promoting student creativity, and engaging the community. The program currently consists of In-School programming for kindergarten and first grade students and After-School orchestras for grades 2-5 at Edwards Elementary. In Fall 2022, we expect to serve around 85 students after-school in Grades 2-5. JOY is also actively exploring future sites for growth.
The JOY @ Edwards Teaching Artist’s primary responsibility will be to teach group lessons and lead and co-teach rehearsals. Collaborating with other members of the instructional team, the Teaching Artist will be directly involved in developing, implementing, and carrying out the curriculum and defined teaching objectives at the guidance of the Edwards Site Director. As a Teaching Artist (TA), the candidate must be able to demonstrate proficient performance technique, communication skills, and equitable classroom management strategies. Knowledge of orchestral instrumental performance and pedagogical practices and their implementation are a must.
As a Low Strings TA, the candidate would be working with students in grades 2-5 in both group rehearsals on basic string and orchestra technique and providing specialized feedback and assistance with cello students in both group rehearsal, cello sectionals, and the occasional one-on-one lesson. The ideal candidate would demonstrate proficiency in teaching and playing the cello. Opportunities for professional development through El Sistema USA, OR-ASTA, and other state and national music education organizations are offered and encouraged as part of this role.
This is a part-time position. The first day of JOY is Tuesday, September 6, 2022. The JOY @ Edwards After-School Orchestra runs on Tuesdays-Fridays from 2:20-5:00pm. JOY Teaching Artists lead and plan the annual JOY Summer Day Camp (August 8-12 and 15-19). As part of onboarding and prep, JOY Staff take part in training days before the start of the academic year in August.
Additional hours could be available or added based on program needs. Examples include staff and student recruiting, concerts, public performances, fundraisers, and special events.
Desired Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in music (orchestral strings), music education, or related field.
- Ability to communicate in Spanish.
- Passion for impacting students’ lives through music, especially underserved or at-risk youth.
- Ability to work well in a racially and culturally diverse community.
- Effective and equity-driven classroom management techniques.
- Prior experience teaching school-age children.
- Mastery of your primary instrument (cello, upright bass, or other).
- Ability to teach foundational cello skills in both group and individual settings.
- Attention to detail.
- Commitment to creating a nurturing atmosphere with evident mutual respect for students, parents/guardians, volunteers, and co-workers.
- Ability to work well on a team and collaboratively-minded.
- Punctuality, professionalism, and a commitment to excellence.
- Attendance at Summer Camp and other August meetings and events.
- Maintains a driver’s license, good driving record, and access to a car as needed for work responsibilities.
- Basic knowledge of upper string (violin, viola) posture and technique.
- Conducting experience, especially with beginning ensembles.
- Must pass a Newberg School District background check.
- 2-3 Professional References, including name and a phone or email address.
- Candidates are asked to submit a video audition on their instrument with their application materials. Click for guidelines.
- Must provide proof of full vaccination against COVID-19.
Please submit a resume, cover letter, reference names with phone and email addresses, and audition clip to Program Manager Danielle Howard Dye (firstname.lastname@example.org) by June 30, 2022.
This job is primarily performed in a classroom environment where the majority of the time will require ambulating around the room. There is some stationary (desk) work when needed or for at-home planning; regular computer work and work with other office equipment; regular communication with teachers, staff and students, and occasional lifting and/or moving up to 40-45 pounds.
Yamhill Enrichment Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value, honor and promote diversity, equity, and inclusion in our employment and education programs. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are enthusiastically encouraged to apply.