JOY Violin (or Viola) Teaching Artist and Music Classroom Teacher
Sue Buel and Newby Elementary Schools
JOY Project, McMinnville, Oregon
Hours: Part Time (further details required)
Reports to: JOY Music Program Manager, Edwards Elementary Site Director Desired Start Date: August 1, 2022
Terms of Service: August-June
Pay Rate: $40/hour
The Yamhill Enrichment Society (YES) is a locally based 501(3)c non-profit corporation in Yamhill County, Oregon, who’s primary mission is to transform the lives of Yamhill County children through literacy and music enrichment. Its music enrichment program, the Junior Orchestra of Yamhill County (JOY), modeled after the El Sistema movement which is designed to provide
high-caliber, culturally significant orchestral music instruction through emphasizing teamwork and collaboration, promoting student creativity, and engaging with the local community. JOY is a unique collaborative program between YES, the McMinnville School District, Newberg School District, Linfield University, and members of the greater Yamhill county community.
The violin (or viola) teaching specialist will introduce, lead, and direct beginning violin to primary grade level (kindergarten and first grade) students with additional support provided by the classroom music specialist. Classes range in size from 18-24 students and meet for 30 minutes sessions 2 times per week. Additional hours could be added based on program needs, and opportunities for professional development through El Sistema USA, OR-ASTA, and other state and national music education organizations may be provided.
Other expectations include:
- Lead a minimum of two student performances per academic year Demonstrate excellent organizational skills and the ability to maintain accurate records
- Collaborate with program team members, teaching colleagues, YES staff, and district administrators (as appropriate)
- Community engagement through building relationships with parents/guardians and community members
- Planning and execution of musical performances from regional artists to inspire and motivate youth
- Involvement in fundraising activities
- Engage with professional development and professional learning communities
Qualifications and Experience
- Completed undergraduate degree in music discipline (music education preferred)
- A minimum of two years teaching experience (applied studio, group/classroom instruction, or both)
- Successful completion of background check and all required clearances
- Demonstrated mastery of your instrument
- Demonstrated effective classroom management techniques
- A passion for teaching and inspiring primary age students
- A commitment to fostering an inclusive learning experience in a racially and culturally diverse environment
- Ability to teach violin to beginners individually and in a group setting
- Punctuality, professionalism, and commitment to excellence
- Creativity and excellent critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Maintains a driver’s license, good driving record, and access to a car as needed for work responsibilities.
- Must pass an MSD background check and provide proof of full vaccination against COVID-19
- Masters degree in music education or other music related field
- Valid Oregon teaching license, or eligible for Oregon teaching license
- Suzuki (or comparable) Method Certification
- Bilingual (Spanish and English)
Please submit the following electronically to Program Manager Danielle Howard Dye (email@example.com). Job will remain open until filled.
- Letter of Interest
- Contact Information for a minimum of three professional references
- Performance recording on your primary instrument.
- Performance Sample – Guidelines below:
- Please keep Performance Sample video a maximum of 10 minutes in length and minimum of 5 minutes.
- Clips need to have been recorded within the last 12 months to be considered valid submissions.
- One selection must be a work by Johann Sebastian Bach (excerpts-repeats omitted-are fine)
- One selection of your choice preferably in a contrasting style (popular, jazz, folk, contemporary, etc…)
- Include with your performance clip submission the title and composer of your selection.
- Candidate’s video must be of professional quality. The performer and their instrument must be clearly seen and audible. Do not record in a space where a TV/phone/computer/device is on and can be heard– your submission may be disregarded if this is the case.
- Accompanists are not required for this video submission.
- Please upload videos to YouTube (unpublished) and submit links with your materials.
Finalists will be asked to demonstrate a sample lesson with students for observation.
This job is primarily performed in a classroom environment where the majority of the time will require ambulating around the room. There is some stationary (desk) work when needed or for at-home planning; regular computer work and work with other office equipment; regular communication with teachers, staff and students, and occasional lifting and/or moving up to 40-45 pounds.
Yamhill Enrichment Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value, honor and promote diversity, equity, and inclusion in our employment and education programs. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are enthusiastically encouraged to apply.